So, how has Burberry, a fashion brand best known for trench coats, become the darlings of social media?
1. by tweeting its spring/summer 2012 collection before it was even seen on the runway
2. by having “click to call” and “click to chat” facilities so fans contact the Burberry team
3. by hiring British photographer Mike Kus,- who has 123,699 followers - to share his images from the show on Instagram
4. by live streaming their runway shows and red carpet interviews on YouTube
5. by live streaming shows also through Chinese social networks Sina and Youku
6. by creating an album, “Burberry Acoustic,” featuring music from the show that was ready to be instantly downloaded
7. by launching a photo-sharing website called “art of the trench,” which invites consumers to post pictures of themselves in their iconic Burberry trench coats
8. And, finally, by releasing a single which soundtracks their advertising campaign for the new Burberry perfume, Body, which will appear on television before Christmas 2011.
Long story short, today Burberry has 8.6 million Facebook fans and 550 thousand Twitter followers.
Anyone still think the fashion industry doesn’t “get it”?