Hello, my name is Laura, and I am from the USA. I calculated my carbon footprint and although I predicted that I would be close to the average person in my area, my carbon footprint was well above average. These were my results:
You: Your Region:
Transportation: 22392 kg 6387 kg
Home: 8606 kg 9385 kg
Food: 2044 kg 5551 kg
Purchases: 548 kg 2977 kg
The main contributor to my high carbon footprint is my transportation since I travel at least 14,400 miles per year for plane rides alone. My car rides total up to about 2100 miles of traveling per year. A way to reduce my amount of CO2 emissions is to carpool with other people. Since I travel so much on planes, I was curious as to why so much carbon dioxide was released, so I did a little research. First of all, a plane engine sucks in air very quickly. Only 15%of that air is actually carried through the engine; the other 85% is released back into the air and may not be completely clean. This could contribute to the high amounts of CO2 emitted from airplanes. The 15% of the air that goes through the engine is heated to high levels and then that air is passed through many different turbines. The air released from airplanes contains large amounts of CO2 and now I realize how much planes can pollute the air, but they are necessary when traveling long distances or over oceans.
An article from Boeing informed me that “Air transport contributes 2 percent of human-produced CO2 emissions and this could reach 3 percent by 2050.” This may not seem like a big deal but it really is. Boeing has produced some jet planes that are 70% more fuel efficient than earlier planes, so these may be a better option when taking my next flight; however, this airline may not be going to my destination and it may be more expensive.
It is important for everyone to examine their carbon footprint so that they can see what they might need to cut back on to make the world a healthier place to live in.